This page contains all of our store update videos and other vital information as part of our COVID-19 Response and our compliance with all local orders issued during this pandemic.
**********DURING THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC************
We are all doing the best we can to stop the spread. As an essential business it is our duty to be there for you, Tampa, so that you can grow your food and take care of your animals during this time. We are taking all precautions recommended by the CDC seriously and thus the following changes have occurred to our store to help protect you and our staff during this unprecedented time.
1) We are limiting occupancy to 5 customers at a time in the store through May 2, 2020. Beginning May 4 we are limiting capacity to 12 customers at a time in the store. If we stop you at the door it is because we have reached our capacity. As soon as another customer comes out you will be allowed in. Thank you for your patience.
2) We have installed plexiglass shields for our cashiers.
3) We have made masks available to our staff (as many as we could find or make ourselves).
4) We ask our customers to maintain a 6′ social distance at all times while shopping or waiting in line to go in, per CDC guidelines.
5) We are cleaning commonly-touched surfaces every hour on the hour such as counters, credit card terminal, door handles, etc. with a disinfectant.
6) Our Buy & Fly program has been expanded to include Curbside Pickup. Order online or over the phone, we will call you when your order is ready. When you arrive you can call us and we can load the order into your vehicle for you. Be prepared to show ID and sign for the order. We are offering a limited amount of delivery within a 10 mile radius for those customers who are high-risk; we are not set up for delivery so it will happen as we are able to do so, no guarantees on time frame.
7) We have shortened the hours our doors are open to allow for cleaning and stocking the shelves through May 2, 2020 (M-F 8-4, Sat 8-3). Beginning May 4 we are returning to normal business hours.
8) We are following all the mandatory CDC guidelines and following local city and county guidelines as well.
Shell’s Store Update after the Governor’s announcement from 04/29/2020 instituting Phase I of the Re-Opening of Florida.
Starting Monday, May 4, we will be resuming Normal Business Hours of Monday – Friday 8:00am-5:30pm and Saturday 8:00am-3:30pm. We are always closed on Sundays.
We are allowing an increased number of customers into the store at one time, we were limiting to 5 people at a time and as of Monday that number will be increased to 12 people at a time. We would still like to have one person per party in the store so that all shoppers have the opportunity to shop and we limit the lines of people waiting to come into the store.
Social distancing is still in effect per the CDC guidelines, and we are still cleaning the high-contact areas per their guidelines.
We would like to encourage you to use the Buy & Fly Program for curbside pickup service. You can order online (or over the phone) and prepay for the order. We will assemble your order and call you when your order is ready for pickup. Please allow up to 2 hours for your order to be prepared for pickup. You can shop at shellsfeed.com/shop or call us at (813) 932-9775. When you arrive for pickup, you can call us from the parking lot and we will bring your order out to you.
Please specify in the notes who is picking up the order if it is not the person who is paying, the person picking up should be prepared to show photo ID to pick up the order.
There has been a few supply chain issues recently, mostly on gardening supplies. Soils are out of stock or low in stock as the manufacturers are struggling to keep up with demand. We are working closely with our distribution to make sure we get as much as we can for our customers.
Baby chicks have also been in very high demand. There are production problems from before the pandemic, and also for high demand in-store. We are doing everything we can to keep chicks in stock but there is no relief in sight for the future. We are limiting purchases of baby chicks to 4 per household so that we can fairly give as many people as possible a chance to own chickens (4 chickens is enough to provide eggs for a family of up to 4-5 people). Please respect our decision to limit at this time, we want to provide for as many customers as possible.
Another product that we are completely out of is coco coir. We have been unable to contact the provider of this product due to the COVID-19 pandemic, their business is closed. We will keep trying and as soon as we make contact we’ll update you.
We appreciate your patience over the last couple of weeks. We have had a couple of key people out. It’s been hard on all of us to try to make up the difference having these people out. We have hired two new people to the team, Trey Mathews and Sierra Bianchini, so please help us welcome them to the team. Thanks for your patience as we get them trained up and ready to serve you like we have always done.
Finally, many of you have come to know our head cashier, Lupe, over the years, and many of you have been asking about her. We wanted to let you know that she is out of state attending to a family matter. We miss her terribly and look forward to when she can return, whenever that may be.
Thank you to everyone who has been supporting us through all of this, we appreciate every one of you. We’ve been in business for 59 years, next year will be 60 years, and look for something special from us on our birthday!
Until then, we’ll see you soon here at Shell’s!
Shell’s Store Update
We want to keep you informed of our status as we move through this COVID-19 Pandemic.
Our hours are still Monday-Friday 8am-4pm and Saturday 8am-3pm. We continue to be closed on Sundays.
We are continuing to only allow 5 shoppers in the store at a time, and we ask the following of our customers: 1) please only one shopper per party so that others can shop at the same time; 2) if possible please limit your shopping to 10 minutes so that everyone has time to get what they need with the occupancy restrictions we have in place. Of course if there’s something we can help you with please let us know.
We have our Buy & Fly program where you can shop on our website shellsfeed.com/shop. You can purchase and pay online (or over the phone) and come pick it up. Use our curbside service by calling when you arrive at the store and we’ll bring your order out to you and load it in your vehicle for you so you don’t have to come in to the store.
Please remember to wait to come pick up your order until someone calls you to tell you the order is ready. Please give us up to 2 hours to notify you that the order is ready – it will depend on how busy it is in the store and how big your order is. We appreciate your patience.
We are providing delivery by request. We don’t have infrastructure to provide delivery to everyone, but please let us know that you have need and we will do our best to accommodate you.
Our supply chain is good right now, we have limited stock on certain items like starter plants, soil, live animals, but we have plenty of seeds in stock for those of you looking for seeds.
There is a lot of emphasis at this time on gardening. Because of that we’ll be offering a free EarthBOX webinar coming very soon. We’ll send out a notice when it’s posted. Sign up for notifications and our newsletter at shellsfeed.com/2063.
We appreciate your business over the 59 years we’ve been serving this community, we are grateful for your support.
Shell’s Store Update – IMPORTANT! – Some minor changes are coming!
1-Effective Thursday April 2 our operating hours are changing to: Monday-Friday 8am-4pm and Saturday 8am-3pm. We will be fulfilling curbside pickups anytime during store hours, but by appointment only from 4-5:30pm Monday-Friday. Closing the store early will allow our staff to clean properly and stock the store for your convenience so that our staff is more available to help you with your purchases while you are here.
2-We encourage you to use our online Buy & Fly service at ShellsFeed.com/shop. If you have trouble with that system please call us to place your order. If you would please also let Marissa know at the email address on your screen at the end of this video.
3-To help comply with the social distancing rule, starting tomorrow we will be limiting shoppers in the store to 5 at a time. Please be patient with us while we work hard to comply with the CDC guidelines, and please respect everyone’s personal space as best you can.
4-Sometimes our parking lot is crowded. There is overflow parking in the grassy field on the Annie Street side of our warehouse, past the truck unloading driveway. You can park in that field. It is the same field that we use to park for classes and events.
5-We continue to follow the CDC guidelines of keeping commonly-touched surfaces cleaned. Our staff is cleaning door handles, credit card terminals, shopping cart handles, counters and other surfaces every hour on the hour and as store traffic permits.
6-We know that hand sanitizer is hard to get right now. Because of this we have paired up with a local company, Floris Naturals, to make it available to you. Floris Naturals is a local company from Plant City. This product has 65% alcohol, which exceeds the CDCs guidelines for alcohol based sanitizers that kill Corona Virus. It also contains aloe and essential oils for cleaning and skin protection purposes.
7-We are scheduled to get baby ducks and chicks on Friday.
8-Please email Marissa at Shell’s feed dot com or call the store at (813) 932-9775 or (813) 932-4333 if you have questions or concerns
Shell’s Store Update Saturday 03/28/2020
Our Annual Spring Sale ends today!
We are open today through 3:30pm and closed on Sunday per our usual hours. After today we reopen Monday at 8 am.
We offer curbside service – buy online and pick up at the store – give us a call when you arrive and we can load it for you, just present ID. We will call you when your order is ready to pick up. Allow us up to 2 hours to pull the order.
Thank you for your business!
Synopsis of Video:
Hello friends of Shell’s Feed & Garden Supply,
Here’s the latest update from Greg Shell, owner of Shell’s Feed & Garden Supply. In this video we talk about our status in light of the newly-issued “Safer-at-Home” policy issued by Hillsborough County and our compliance with it.
– We are open and have no plan to cut business hours. This may change in the future but as of now we are keeping the same hours.
– “Safer at Home” Order goes into effect at 10 pm tonight.
– Shell’s is categorized as an “Essential Business” because we sell products for food and agriculture, therefore we are lawfully allowed to remain open at this time.
– Our supply chains are strained, but still operational.
– We ask that persons shopping in the store police themselves about the 6′ distance rule. We are responsible for maintaining the CDC and Hillsborough County guidelines for social distancing, and we can be fined/closed by the county if we are not compliant. Help us remain open by doing what you’re supposed to do, please.
– Our parking is limited in the main lot, but we have overflow parking in the grassy field behind the store on Annie Street off of Nebraska. Feel free to park there and we can load your vehicle in that field.
– Our staff are following CDC cleanliness guidelines for commonly-touched surfaces like credit card machines, counters, and door handles.
– We encourage you to use the Buy & Fly program currently for curbside pickup. Shop at shellsfeed.com/shop or place an order over the phone as (813) 932-9775 or (813) 932-4333. Please allow us at least 2 hours to ready the order, we will call you when it’s ready for pickup.
– If you don’t want to leave your vehicle, call us when you arrive and we will bring your order to the car. Please be prepared to show ID and sign for the order.
– A new announcement is that for people who are unable to leave the house because they are in a high health risk category, we are offering delivery within 10 miles of the store. Orders under $50 have a $5 delivery fee. Orders over $50 have free delivery. Large orders with over 250 lbs of product are $20 to deliver. WE DO NOT HAVE THE INFRASTRUCTURE FOR DELIVERY – but due to this crisis we are working to help our community as best we can, so please know that we will do our best to make delivery accommodations as quickly as possible.
If you have questions, please email our Director of Communications, Marissa, at [email protected] or call the store.
We also ask that you please be patient with our staff as we are helping everyone we can during this difficult time. Know that we are here for you.
We are grateful for your business and support, and we hope to continue to win your business for the foreseeable future.
Hello Friends of Shell’s Feed & Garden Supply,
We’ve had a lot of calls and emails to ask if we are open, and yes, we are open.
We have no plans of closing right now. As an essential business we are remaining open to serve the community. We are awaiting a “stay at home” order, but we can still remain open even if that happens.
Our Supply Chain is working well, it is strained but still delivering, so we are not running out of the things you need. Some products are limited, such as live animals.
We wanted to let you know we have alternatives for those of you who are not wanting to come into the store. Our Buy & Fly program is shopping online and picking up in store, it’s available at shellsfeed.com/shop.
For those of you with limited internet access or if you have trouble with the website, you can also call us to place an order over the phone with a credit card. (813) 932-9775 or (813) 932-4333.
You can then pick up your order at the store or use our curbside service option – call us when you arrive and we will load the order in your vehicle for you. Please be prepared to show your ID and sign for the order.
We are currently exploring home delivery for those of you who cannot leave the house for health reasons, it will be for homes within a 5 mile radius of the store and there will be a small fee associated with that. We do not have the infrastucture to support Delivery at this time, but we have staff that are able to deliver to you during this time if needed. We don’t want to alienate our customers because of health issues.
We ask for patience with our staff during this time as we do our best to serve you. Our store has experienced a surge in business at this time and we are doing our best to make sure that you get what you need for your home and urban farms and gardens. Our staff is doing a great job.
We are very grateful for our customers and for your business. We will all be OK, we will all get through this together.
Please contact us if you have questions at the numbers and email address listed in the video.
Thank you for your ongoing support, we are here for you.